Nov 24, 2013

Land of Gods | 2

Lets begin!!


Prepare, Prepare, and Still Preparing!

While I had resolved my mind about going for the trip, which was a big step in itself, I had to now prepare for the trip. The preparation was mainly three fold. 1) Physical preparation through medical tests 2) Keeping the body and mind ready for such a hard trip, through regular exercise and meditation 3) Packing the right things for the trip, which includes an ever ending of things, some of the item names I had heard for the first time.

I had done the first part of preparation; attempted the second part of preparation, which I miserably failed and now beginning the 3rd step - the daunting task of packing for the journey. I had religiously printed all the instructions and nicely filed it in a beautiful folder, I hadn’t made time to go through them carefully until just before the trip. Hectic work schedules, not-so-kind environment had kept me on my toes and I had lost sight of the effort needed for the trip. I woke up a week before the yatra, and discovered that I had a long list of things to do.

Jackets, Rain Gears, Thermals, Bags, Hats, Sun Shades, Gloves, Socks, Shoes, Medicines, Snacks, Travel Kits and the list went on endlessly. I tirelessly shuttled between the two floors of my house transporting truck load of clothes, weigh, remove, put it back, bring a new set and looked like a headless chicken. I’d suddenly realize that I didn’t have enough stuff, and within minutes I’d hop out of the house in a rather dis-helved hair and cringed clothes to stride the long corridors of Bangalore streets and shops. The clock was ticking and I was not even close to a good start. I walked, talked, slept and dreamt about packing for the trip, the next few days! I guess I looked horrified and my family stepped in to support (phew! What a relief!), and some friends offered to help. Finally, the packing began and soon after, things started to fall in place (don’t even get me started about the multiple trips I made to Decathlon stores, and at wee hours just before my flight). Thanks dad, for touring me around in Bangalore without a word of complaint, and without expecting a word of compliment. I couldn’t have done any of this without your help.

I almost missed a gift (a beautiful diary) from my friend, but managed to find a small but old note book and some pens bought last minute for writing a travelogue during the journey. I also made that quintessential last minute shopping of back pack, just before I crashed for some shut eye for a couple of hours nap, before I headed for the flight. Finally, it’s all done. I don’t even know if I packed it right, but here I am, at Air India Flight going to Delhi; sitting beside a young man, blissfully sleeping, and beginning the diary of a girl embarking on a mountainous trip to the great Kailash and Mansarovar.

I wish myself a safe and once-a-lifetime journey to the Land of Gods! 

Happy Journey! J 


No comments: