Nov 23, 2013

Pondy | 2

Pondicherry – Give time a break!



Part 2


I returned from Pondicherry with pleasant memories and thought I’d come back soon but it took nearly a year for me to return to the city in Nov 2013. The memories of the city had faded, including the innumerable statues and how people navigated the place! :P In that sense, this  was another new visit to the city and the people.

Thara and I had a pleasant bus journey and reached Green Palace Hotel at around 5.30am, waking up the hotel staff to check us in; ) Our room was at 4th floor (4106), a simple yet clean room. We reached office in the morning, and had a busy day ahead. We were joined by Sumithra in the evening for a quick outing to the beach. The ocean, the wind, the beach shops, the temple, Anand Bhavan and all the places around refreshed my memory and I relived the happy experience once again J This time, we had a nice dinner at a French place, travelled by bus and headed home happy. The evening was fantastic with great company and beautiful beach.

The next day, I along with a bunch of colleagues visited the international short film festival at Pondicherry University, for the movie ‘Nero’s guests’ – a fine movie showcasing the work of P Sainath, watched in rapt attention by the audience. The movie pierced my heart, and I couldn’t take the reality of Vidarbha tragedy. We were soon joined by Sainath himself amidst a thundering applause showing deep respect and appreciation for his grass root work.  The next hour was all about Sainath, and his firey speech, with each statistics telling a grim story. I was emotionally drained and lost in melancholy. 

We came back to office for lunch, and my hang over was hard to get over. I looked for some magic to pull me out from the morning depression, and god answered it with a sweet surprise! I got a phone call from a friend and pepped me up completely; I was relieved to find myself smiling and continued the day ahead. While the experience of the morning was disturbing, I was glad to have gone there and witnessed the film festival – a day that changed my perspective and strengthened my conviction for the cause and continue my journey of service.

The last day of the trip was a visit to Auroville, an experience of tranquility yet adventurous. After a nice day at Auroville, I headed back to the city for an evening with Sumithra, had fun time chatting up, dinner near the beach and spent quite moments watching the ever rolling, splashing white waves and bid good bye to the beautiful city of Pondicherry.


A heritage city with a potpourri of different cultures and beautiful people; surrounded by a stunning ocean, seducing every visitor to come back again, and again!

No comments: